Patterns are one of the most amazing and yet little known features of Cricut Design Space. Once you learn how to work with patterns your Cricut designs will be pretty much unstoppable. In today’s tutorial, I’ll show you how to edit patterns in Cricut Design Space.
Upload your pattern
First, you’ll need to know how to upload patterns into Design Space. If you missed that tutorial, you can check it out here. Once you have your pattern uploaded you can fill any object with a pattern. For this tutorial I’m just going to fill a heart with a pattern but you can fill text, SVG’s or shapes. You can use patterns to make invitations, stickers, banners, cupcake toppers, home décor…and the list goes on and on and on.
Edit your pattern
Pull in a shape from the left side tool bar. I just used a heart. Go up to the top menu bar and change the shape from a cut to a print by selecting “Print” in the fill box.
Fill you shape with a pattern. To do this you’ll click the color box next to the fill box in the top menu and chance from a color to a pattern. (If you don’t already have a pattern you want uploaded you’ll need to do that before hand. Watch this video to learn how.) Cricut has a ton of patterns already included. Some are free and some are free with Cricut Access.
Once your shape is filled with a pattern go to the bottom left corner of the pattern box and click “edit pattern”. This will pull up the “Edit Pattern Menu”.
- Scale: Use scale to make the pattern larger or smaller within your shape
- Horizontal: Moves your pattern left and right. You can use the up and down arrows to nudge slightly or enter numbers in to the box for larger moves. (Negative numbers move left, positive numbers move right.)
- Vertical: Moves your pattern up and down. This feature works the same as horizontal.
- Rotate: Use rotate to rotate your pattern up to 360 degrees. Again, this works the same as horizontal and vertical.
- Flip: You can also flip your pattern upside down or from left to right.
All the edits you make will be shown in a “preview” on the left of the screen. When you have everything just the way you want, simply click the “X” at the top of the menu and all your edits will show in your shape in Design Space.
That was pretty easy. Check out the super quick 4 minute tutorial video below to see how it all works.